Discussion: BBC Cleopatra documentaryReported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 22  |  Show  posts at a time
2 | Next
Izzy22
Izzy22
BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 23 2009, 1:13 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2009, 1:13 PM EDT
I've just finished watching a documentary on the BBC called Cleopatra:Portrait of a Killer and was wondering if anyone else saw it? It was about the discovery of a skeleton believed to be Cleo's sister and whether she was murdered on Cleo's orders, it was pretty interesting (the guy playing Mark Antony rather disappointing compared to James Purefoy but thats not really the point lol!) and I just wanted to know if anyone else caught it? 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: Cleopatra Mark Antony
coronation
coronation
1. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 23 2009, 1:35 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2009, 1:35 PM EDT
No! I missed it Izzy I would love to catch i again though:( What did they say about Cleopatras sister? I always thought she had asked Antony to order her death. Did they mention where Cleo and Antonys remains were? Ah anyone would be disappointing in that role after James=D! What was the actress who played Cleopatra like? Do you find this valuable?    
Izzy22
Izzy22
2. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 23 2009, 1:47 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2009, 1:50 PM EDT
They basically did what they think is the story of her life as they talked about the discovery of her remains and what tests/evidence they've used to conclude that it is Cleo's sister so Cleo ordering Antony to kill her was part of it. Then they showed how people at the University of Dundee have used archeologist photos and papers from the 20s to create what they think is a replica of her skull then they did facial reconstruction to get an idea of what she looked liked (the pic from that was in the papers this morning so I think you should be able to find that somewhere- I'll have a look for you). They ended by saying that the facial reconstruction is probably the closest they'll get to having a good idea of what Cleo looked like, there was a bit of speculation as to whether Cleo's ancestors may have been African rather than European but that bit was only a few comments right at the end.

Can you watch stuff on BBC's iplayer in Ireland? If you can it should be online there tomorrow, if not I'll see if I can cheat for you :)
The actress playing Cleo looked the part but some of the 'seduction' scenes, particularly with Caesar seemed a little force imo. The guy who played the newsreader in Rome was in it though- all dressed up in his toga telling the tale to people I assumed where supposed to be Roman aristocrats
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
Izzy22
Izzy22
3. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 23 2009, 1:52 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2009, 1:52 PM EDT
Here's a link to one of the newspaper articles that inlcluded the facial reconstruction

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?Meet_Cleopatras_sister&in_article_id=591084&in_page_id=34&in_a_source=

Its the one I read on the bus this morning, I'm sure if you google a bit you'll be able to find a more detailed article I just knew this one had the photo
coronation
coronation
4. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 23 2009, 1:55 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2009, 1:55 PM EDT
Ahaha I loved the newsreader! He was awesome apparently he was always able to shoot his scenes very close together and all the other actors were jealous of him. What paper was it in Izzy? I know my mum and dad more than likely have the sun,the mirror and the daily record. I don't think I can watch it in Ireland;( I wonder will a repeat be on the BBC2 or BBC3 during the week? Fingers crossed! I would love to have seen how her sister looked. Thats a new theory Cleos ancestors may being African isn't it? Did they touch on the theory that Octavian had Cleopatra killed rather than she killed herself? I was always surprised Rome didn't go with that death for her. Do you find this valuable?    
Izzy22
Izzy22
5. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 23 2009, 1:56 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2009, 1:56 PM EDT
This one has much more detail about the discovery

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article5908494.ece
coronation
coronation
6. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 23 2009, 1:56 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2009, 1:56 PM EDT
Just saw your link! Thanks Izzy your a star. I'm gonna google it now! Do you find this valuable?    
Izzy22
Izzy22
7. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 23 2009, 2:02 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2009, 2:02 PM EDT
"Ahaha I loved the newsreader! He was awesome apparently he was always able to shoot his scenes very close together and all the other actors were jealous of him. What paper was it in Izzy? I know my mum and dad more than likely have the sun,the mirror and the daily record. I don't think I can watch it in Ireland;( I wonder will a repeat be on the BBC2 or BBC3 during the week? Fingers crossed! I would love to have seen how her sister looked. Thats a new theory Cleos ancestors may being African isn't it? Did they touch on the theory that Octavian had Cleopatra killed rather than she killed herself? I was always surprised Rome didn't go with that death for her. "
It was in the Metro (you get one free on the bus and I had nothing better to do lol!) I don't know if its gonna be repeated but if I find out I'll let you know.

Apparantly they think she might have had African ancestor's because of the shape of her sister's skull- it was a bit vague but think because it was long in proportion to the height of the skull thats a trait found in certain ethnic groups one of them being Black Africans (another was Ancient Egyptians so I can't say I'm completely convinced lol), there were other characteristics that were Caucasian (sp?) so they sorta said she may have had ancestors from both groups. They didn't really talk about her death and all they did say was that she killed herself.
Do you find this valuable?    
Izzy22
Izzy22
8. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 23 2009, 2:12 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2009, 2:12 PM EDT
The video for it is up on the programme page on the BBC's website, not sure if you'll have to be in the UK to see it, you don't get redirected to iplayer when you click on it. Do you find this valuable?    
coronation
coronation
9. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 23 2009, 2:15 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2009, 2:15 PM EDT
Well it's certainly interesting anyway! Goes against the theory that Cleopatra was fair skinned and had red hair. I guess since we dont know what race Cleopatras mother was it makes it really hard to say. Isn't it funny considering how much she has been talked about nobody really knows what Cleopatra looked like. Thanks for the links Izzy! Definetly makes an interesting read. Do you find this valuable?    
coronation
coronation
10. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 23 2009, 2:17 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2009, 2:17 PM EDT
"The video for it is up on the programme page on the BBC's website, not sure if you'll have to be in the UK to see it, you don't get redirected to iplayer when you click on it. "
My internet connection is like a snail today but I'm going to try and get to my local internet cafe tomorrow and check it out! Hopefully I'll be able to see it.
coronation
coronation
11. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 23 2009, 2:25 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2009, 2:25 PM EDT
Just saw this link on the page of that story. Anyone hear anything else on this since?
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article3998944.ece
Izzy22
Izzy22
12. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 23 2009, 2:33 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2009, 2:33 PM EDT
"Just saw this link on the page of that story. Anyone hear anything else on this since?
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article3998944.ece"
I've not heard anything, unless they're still doing tests to confirm whether or not it is Cleo, if they thought they had proof I'm sure it would have been really big news
QueenMedusa
QueenMedusa
13. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 23 2009, 7:23 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 23 2009, 7:23 PM EDT
This is definitely a great story Izzy thanks for pointing it out :D

Do ya'll think if they opened Cleo's tomb that they would bestow a curse on them?
You know back in the days they didn't play with their magic lol...

offwithherhead
14. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 24 2009, 2:50 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 24 2009, 2:50 PM EDT
That show sounds so interesting....would love to see it! :) Do you find this valuable?    
QueenMedusa
QueenMedusa
15. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 24 2009, 6:45 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 24 2009, 6:45 PM EDT
Same here :D I wonder if youtube has it :D lol they have everything on there hahah ;) Do you find this valuable?    

offwithherhead
16. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Mar 24 2009, 6:48 PM EDT | Post edited: Mar 24 2009, 6:48 PM EDT
I actually checked youtube yesterday to see, and I couldn't find anything. Haven't goggled it yet though. Do you find this valuable?    
IuliaCaesaris
IuliaCaesaris
17. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Jun 5 2009, 3:00 PM EDT | Post edited: Jun 5 2009, 3:00 PM EDT
I've just downloading it...so I hope to be able to watch it tomorrow after work. Do you find this valuable?    

offwithherhead
18. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Jun 6 2009, 2:54 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 6 2009, 2:54 AM EDT
Hi JuliaCaesaris....do you have a link where we can douwnload the show? Would love to see it ! :) Do you find this valuable?    
IuliaCaesaris
IuliaCaesaris
19. RE: BBC Cleopatra documentary
Jun 6 2009, 9:23 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 6 2009, 9:23 AM EDT
"Hi JuliaCaesaris....do you have a link where we can douwnload the show? Would love to see it ! :)"
I'm registered at UseNext. As much as I know it is a legal organization since you pay monthly for downloading.
2 | Next

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)